Saturday, September 9, 2006

The RITUAL...its BAAACK!

 Monday night I start it up again. The RITUAL. This ain't a none to annoying Budweiser commercial. But this season warms me.  Its me, and you...however you do it. Real football starts tomorrow. Well, all that is real in the world that isn't the Chargers!

  Do you have the NFL package and stay home? Do you go to a favorite sports bar? Sit on a freakin' mountain and listen on satellite radio? Sorry if your that guy. I'll climb the mountain after February thank you.

  My ritual is, when I'm not lucky enough to be at a real game but here in my confines of Portland, OR. Oh yeah, we are a major NFL city. Not really. But nobody is from here like everywhere else, so its a nice mix of fanatics from all over. Lotsa Mid West. Charger following is good here, thanks Dan Fouts.

 Oh, the ritual. I take a city bus #15 to Claudia's Sports Bar, takes 10 mins. Walk 2 blocks in a brisk fall breeze to a pouring rain. And I'm there. That TV will be the Super Bowl TV I'm watching this year. I will be sneaking a peak at the New Orleans game. Go Drew...heart baybee. It's back...NFL football. I love summer but fall always reminds me what time it is. It's fucking great isn't it? Maybe I'm a creature of habit. But my XMAS eve will be spent in Seattle. That used to be my norm, when Seattle was in the AFC West. Not anymore. Wonder if Seattle would be ruling the AFC West now? Can't wait...a road trip from Portland to Sea Town in a 72 Datsun Wagon...a cherry one!

  Yes it is here. Have you ever denied yourself sex? Because of football? I have. Not proud of it. But those bitches never were my girlfriends. The good ones waited or joined in rigorously. The others played games to try and break my ritual.  I have not missed a Bolt game in 21 years. I listened on the radio once, had to move that day...bitch! Another game playah! Even tried to change the radio in the U Haul truck! We beat Denver on a game ending FG that evening on the #5 freeway, all poppin' and fading in n out on the radio. That's me. Do you do any of these strange things? Think about. Man or woman. Many a freaky woman fan out there, and more knowledgable than you...and can kick your ass too!

 Hell yes...tomorrow is Sunday. As a child from a broken ass home that was pretty cool actually...I started my ritual in about 1969 I quit going to Sunday School and watched football on a 13" B & W TV with rabbit ears. 8 yrs old, root beer...mom and sister saying praise the lord while I said...praise the Bolts baybee!Gotta admit, as a boy I loved the 49ers...I was born is SF and met many famous SF celebs back in the day as a kid. Brodie, Willard, Mayes, McCovey...and even had lunch with Joe DiMaggio (my grandfather had accounts with them) Been to Kezar a few times. Loved the NHL Seals. But guess what? Blow childhood memories away. Cause its all about Chargers 2006. The past is the past and the present and future are forever fleeting. Enjoy 2006. Hope your ritual is rewarding to you. Beer or no beer. Tomorrow your kicker's toe, or the opposing teams toe, will launch your team into the season. Good Luck to You All. Oh...one thing...except against the fuckin' Chargers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a football fan married to a football fan, you come to realize that sex is pretty much what halftime is for. The numbers add up too perfectly.