Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Giants made into Lilliputions

Your humble Bolts blogger was lucky enough to be one of 63,373 fans at the Murph (for new skoolers, Qualcom Stadium) most of them chanting "Eli sucks" or booing, for the entire game...loudly. For those who think a Cali crowd is just a bunch of weed puffin', leave before the 3rd quarter, disinterested and pass the unsprouted wheat bread sprout and avocado sandwiches, you are sorely mistaken. The tailgating before the game was most intense, almost Raider game intense but not quite. Along with the smell of marinated mexican steaks, brats and bbq'd marlin was a scent of desparation and do or die for the Chargers season. My latino "G" brothers across the way from our car, "Fast" Eddie, Million the king of party favors, and their latin script tattoos kept us laughing...and the Giants fans who braved cross their pass humble and on their toes. I lived in NYC and never lost my powder blue blood but I respect the NY fan, as some of my best moments were spent rooting for the Bolts in the Meadowlands, whether we played the Jets or Giants. The glaring exception was the infamous "snowball game" in the mid 1990's which got a little hairy for me. I carried a little piece o' payback for that one in my heart and I was appeased on this day in San Diego. Oh, yeah, their was also a game on this day, a damn good one for the Chargers. A confidence builder. An LT domination. A riled up defense that kicked ass. The secondary? We are young, talented and weak as Eli proved with 352 yds passing and two TD's. Although Jammer returned an INT to the house that was rather exciting, it was of course called back. The 1st half was one of the most exciting halves of football I have ever seen in my 44 years of life. The 2nd half was one of the best the Bolts ever had, the Giants went beddy bye after a hard fought and scary comeback in the 1st half that never stopped the boo's, but quieted them significantly. The Chargers on this day scored more points than any team in the NFL, and LT busted out more yards than any running back also. Actually we rushed for more total yds than we had in 41 yrs! Offensive coordinator Cam Cameron had the offense clicking like Gregory Hines back in the day. It was an onslaught of offensive variety. I missed just one series the whole game, and it was a doozy. I was finishing a cigar at the end halftime with two large ladies that were molded into beauty queens by my consumption. Naughty thoughts tripped through my sodden brain. The menage e trois fantasy crashed and burned like the two steam rollers who would have flattened my ass had it come true and pictures posted on rotten.com when I heard and enormous (the BIG analogies will never stop) roar from the crowd inside. We all hustled inside and the two girls took their seats in front of me, if they were on an airline they would've been charged for four seats! I missed LT's 26 yd TD pass to LT. Oh well, saw the replay...beyootiful. When the girls dropped in their seats about 10 guys went straight up out of theirs like the gophers you hit with a toy bat at Chucky Cheese! Brees was unshakeable and solid, and he should have been...he was never sacked like Eli was twice. Eli was hurried all day but ripped off some huge third down and super longs on his own scrambling and running after pressure. He is gonna be something. Gates was solid, 6 catches, 92 yds, one for a 14 yd TD. Nate kicked a 44 yd FG cleanly, I'm almost back on his bandwagon...get some in New England Nate! Sproles is kick returner extroidinaire, giving us great field position all day. He is working out great, I like him alot. I could say more and mention more individual Charger accomplishments but I must mention what looms on the horizon and get to prepping falafels after my mini SoCal vacation. By the by, this is my website and what I do for a living: fatkitty.biz  [] There is a great link to the best indie Charger site on the net. We are in the Patriots house next week, the ultimate challenge. Brady must be licking his chops and looking at the Charger secondary like Jim Belushi looks at a sticky bun. It could be ugly but many elements figure into this game. I know one of my fave all time Chargers and now Patriot Rodney Harrison is out for the year which may give Brees, Gates and McQuardell a little more breathing room for he is a one man wrecking crew who made you remember when you caught a pass. Parker is an intangible, he has big play capability and I would play off that. If our dee line and backers can maintain pressure and limit Dillon, we have a good shot. Secondary has ability but is mistake prone, Brady is surgeon like in his precision of slicing up secondarys, hope for our youngsters to kick it up a notch. I know one thing, the Charger girls are way hotter than anything NE can throw out back there, all decked out in Carhart's to keep themselves warm! Hopefully the Chowd's will be more concerned about the Sox by the 3rd quarter than what is happening on the field. Personally I see Brees and LT and our boys giving Ted Kennedy a whole new field of gin blossoms after this one. Keep the faith Powd's! GO CHARGERS!

No comments: