Monday, December 13, 2004

7

The streak continues and to all the doubters all predicting the inevitable "Charger implosion" I say...how do ya like me know? Got an email from a Charger buddy who was in Homer, Alaska. Alas the game was not on anywhere. But he sat in front of a pc for 3 hours hitting the refresh button every 30 seconds. I've done it once or twice also. I never miss a game, but life throws you a curve every now and again. Charger dedication knows no end. As the master said to grasshopper in the old TV series Kung Fu, "When the pebble hits the pond, do not many new journeys begin?" Yes, they do. Its called Cleveland next week, then to Indy...tough...then on to the playoffs! Tampa was tough in our house. But our D was opportunistic, Donnie Edward's 30 yd interception for a TD near the end of the game pretty much sealed it. A thing of beauty it was, high noon drama no doubt. The young Charger talent, with a dash of destiny thrown in! I hear alot of comparisons and references to the similarity of this team to the 1994 Super Bowl team. And I must admit, it is eerily similar. Nothing like a 10 yr anniversary reunion and a return to the playoffs, where we have as good or better chance then a lot of fans and teams will give us credit for to return to the Super Bowl. I'm not saying we will, I'm saying we have the potential to get there. Crushing killer defensive plays resulting in turnovers and scores for us are coming with regularity at the most opportune times. That is where I feel the 94 team comparisons are true. Dramatic game turning events and the Chargers get em! I remember how lightly Pittsburgh took us in the 94 AFC Championship game at Tres Rivers. I had a girlfriend from Pittsburgh at the time and their newspapers put us down something fierce. Warm weathered pansies and the like. One story stereotyped Charger fans as looking like Jimmy Buffet and drinking drinks w/little paper umbrellas and fruit in them. While a Steeler fan was drinking Iron City, grilling Brats in the snow with their shirts off. We were of course made to eat tofu and sprout sandwiches. Well I still see Steeler fans cringe when I mention the game and end result. They shrink, shrivel and pucker like they sucked a lemon. I glow. And my buddy up in Homer Alaska for his holiday trip was at the 1994 Championship game in Pittsburgh, talk about outnumbered! Look out Pittsburgh, I smell Deja Vu. We'll see whats in the cards. We have a strong hand! LT played well. I must admit your humble author partook in some spirits at the game and only remembers certain plays! Was alot of high fiving going on. Think I may have accidentally walked on my tab? They know me so we'll see next week. 10am game, that means its a coffee game! GO SUPER CHARGERS!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What you smell is NOT Deja Vu....What you smell is GRASSHOPPER being BARBEQUED.  While the Chargers have far exceeded most expectations, you have not faced THIS Steeler team.  But if you'd like to speak with some teams who have, I know of 11 IN A ROW you could interview.